Wednesday, February 6, 2008

As another week starts at the Tokyo Star bar the time has come for another go at the Tokyo Star blogspot! This week we are featuring the likes of The Klassikist, as he is our first ever 'guest blogger' and DJ of the week! Read on to find out his take on the 'Tokyo-Gin Wars' and what makes one of our fave Thursday DJs tick...

Also check out: new photos, events for this week, and scroll down to our previous blog (which was loaded two days ago, despite what the date on it says) and read two brand-spanking new interviews - one featuring the producer behind BreakBeat Saturdays, and the other which catches up with an old school regular who reports in from across the oceans!

************************************

Guest BlogSpot: The 'Tokyo-Gin Wars' brought to you by The Klassikist
Twas the night before Friday, and it seemed like everything was stirring. Maybe it was the free Glenfiddich I had been drinking since around 7pm at a work farewell. The farewell had ended up with a guy that was leaving being bottled by some passive photographer guy who went into a testosterone rage after having one gratis beer too many.

Whatever it was, Eye of the Tiger was blazing out of the car stereo and we were heading into unknown waters... or perhaps ‘Gin’ would be more appropriate. Yes, on a Thursday night we were breaking with tradition and heading over to the old/new restuarant/hang-out spot in Greenside.

Just like any other cool hip young thing that wanders the streets of this Godforsaken town, we had heard the "buzz" and wanted to see what the Gin-Tokyo Wars were all about. The first time I had heard this term was when the Durban-Joburg Band Wars erupted at the end of the last century. The notorious Jaxon Rice of Diesel Whores fame told me the tale of bloodshed and woe that ended in tears for both factions after that fatal morning air-guitar session in downtown Melville. Thus I was keen to find out for myself if this new conflict would end in heartache for both parties.
Upon arriving in Greenside I discovered why there is a heightened state of alert regarding this new player on the scene. The It Crew were all in attendance. The Familiar Faces were already slumped over the bar and hanging out on the pavement. It was like I had entered another dimension where Tokyo was Earth number 1 and Gin was Earth number 2 and they existed at the same place at the same time, but only different. Thinking that way got me very confused so I decided to fix it with a shooter.

Eventually I ended up on the balcony with My Girl and we had a chow. There were all sorts of intellectual types having Tokyo Star-style conversations about fancy movies and books and stuff. My Lady and I then had another shooter. Then we went downstairs and had another shooter. By this point My Girl's Crew and the usual Dodgy Bastards that I hang out with, along with a certain important Gin General, decided that we wanted to dance! So we rounded up the Posse and headed to Tokyo.
Hanging out in the corner by the bar at Tokyo with Jono and Greg, I watched the Familiar Faces cruising up and down. Once again it seemed like the Earth 1 and 2 thing, but at this point I had rectified my being too clever by drinking enough alcohol to become stupid.

The prognosis for the evening turned out as follows:
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
See you all on Thursday.

- The Klassikist –

***********************
Photo by Blane Venter

**********************
Not only can The Klassikist write a good story, but he can rock out a dancefloor big time! You can always tell when he's behind the DJ booth on a Thursday night because of the fun, jumpy, jiving music that fills Tokyo, or as he puts it, " 80sRetroSwingRockCountryDiscoGroove"!

fave international act: Muse followed by The Black Keys
fave dinosaur: Barney?
fave local act: The Privates with Desmond close second and Jim Neversink rockin in 3rd.
fave CD of all time: No way I can single out just one!So I'm gonna dodge the Question...
fave drinking game: Does coinage count?

1. when did you first realise you had a DJ living inside you?
When I heard my Mum play seven-singles on my Dad's stereo back in the day, and I discovered my aunt's Elvis record at around eight years old.

2. what do you love most about tokyo star?
It's always still there anytime I pitch up... and that they still let me play songs when everyone wants to go home and the lights are on. And Mike has never held me accountable.

3. what's playing in your car?
My car radio has become part of the Redistribution of Wealth Programme. But when my girl lends me her ride, it's mostly Hammerfall - Threshold and an 80s CD I found at Cash Converters for R15 with the illest pop on it...

4. What’s the one most essential item to take with when going out for a night on the town?
Your babe and her crew and your Back-up. As in posse. But your should leave your attitude at home.

5. What is music to you?
Absolutely everything and more.

6. who is Keith the DJ?
Eish. Just another guy who wants to rock.

7. how long have you been coming to tokyo? tell us WHY?!
Since it opened. It's like my local bru. When I first came to Jozi it was where I made the friends that I have today. And Jesus are they reprobates. And Matt was my China so we hung out. A lot. At Tokyo.

8. any upcoming events we should know about?
Uh... Henry Rollins this Friday at the Bassline should be insane! And my set on Thursday should be a great way to start an early weekend...

9. describe your style....
80sRetroSwingRockCountryDiscoGroove

****************************

Nights to come to Tokyo this week:
Tuesday for the rocking Tequila special - R8 each...need I say more?
Wednesday for some serious beats from the drum 'n base crew - Reflex
Thursday for the Indie Thursday night revival - it's going to be huge!!
Friday for a night to party party party!!
Saturday for another evening of awesome BreakBeat Chaos!
*************************

No comments:


A$k Your L*cal Bar%lad^es - R*byn & K@te

Hey Tokyo Starians!
We've all seen that movie where the down-on-his-luck dude walks into a bar, orders a drink and pours out his soul to an attentive barman. We kind of like the idea, but Tokyo is often too busy for us to listen to your problems and have long chats!

However, we still believe we have loads of advice to give. Write in to us and we'll be sure to help you out! We're offering advice on everything and anything - from girls to guys, from cocktails to sex, from skin problems to hot chili problems, let us help.

Email us at:

tokyostarlive@gmail.com

The response has been phenomenal - we're already receiving letters! Here are the first few replies:

Q: Whenever I come to Tokyo I feel so horrible in the morning - please help?!
A: It is all because you didn't tip last night and karma has come back to kick you in the ass.

Q: I can't seem to pleasure my girlfriend, I think it's because I'm too small...I measured and I'm only 4cms, and all my friends say they're so much bigger. Why is this the case - why me?
A: It is all because you didn't tip last night and karma has come back to kick you in the ass.

Q: I think I may be falling in love with bouncer Mike - he's just so masculine, but has such a gentle touch when he hugs me hello. Do I have a future with him?
A: Bouncer Mike is a loving husband with 3 children, but has much love to go around - the ball is in your court.

Keep those letters coming!

.

Kate and Robyn on the Dancefloor

Wh@t's hOt! & Wh@t's nOt**

This week's edition of What's Hot and What's Not has been compiled by the Tokyo Star Barladies.

What's Hot
1. Levi's dance moves
2. awesome manners
3. Keith buying us SoCo shooters
4. meeting cool chicks in the loo queue
5. berry slush

Whats Not
1. stock take
2. drunken obnoxious dudes
3. lame pick-up lines
4. chicks popping out of their tops
5. too much slush


.

T*kyo RULES!

1. have an awesomely raucous time

2. don't be rude to the staff (that includes our wonderful kitchen ladies, rugged bouncers, superb DJs, handsome managers and beautiful bar ladies)

3. be courteous and polite (we're providing you with a service - remember to say 'please' and 'thank you')

4. respect all the other patrons of Tokyo - we're all here to have an awesome time!

5. no drugs, no firearms, no under 18s - keep it clean!